Sunday 20 March 2016

Graphic 45 Design Team Audition 2016

Is it that time already?  I can't believe how the year has flown by.  It doesn't seem long ago that I almost made it on to the Graphic 45 Design Team. It was so tantalising to get to the second round and I am not sure I can stand the suspense but here I go again!!!

We have been asked for three projects and a tutorial and I interpreted that to mean 4 project in total.  Most of the projects I share have tutorials with them so three of my projects have tutorials to share how to make these pieces.  We were asked to share projects that show our strengths and I just had to make new things because I take any opportunity to design with my lovely Graphic 45 papers and as I had just had a really good tidy up of my stash I was reminded of some papers past and in particular Poppy Fields from the Magic of Oz collection which inspired me to make this canvas.


I have made hundreds of crafting tutorials all of which are on my YouTube channel and that is where I love to share my creativity.  There are a huge variety of projects to be found over there and of course this canvas comes with its very own tutorial.  Lots of techniques including how to use paper doilies to add fabulously delicate texture to your creations.


I show you how to fussy cut the poppies, to layer them up and bring them to life.  I hope this project, whilst only using two designs of paper really shows off all that Graphic 45 personality we all love so much.  This project is for fussy cutting gurus or trainee fussy cutting gurus!  I definitely recommend you sit in a comfy spot with a cup of coffee whilst you tackle this little lot!


The feathers, cut from ABC Primer's Bed Time Stories, were easy to make as you will see but they are a labour of love and the perfect way to give wings to your heart full poppies!


I would say one of my main strengths as a designer is that I am very much led by what I am using.  That is why Graphic 45 is such a joy so many beautiful papers and so many ways to combine them to create new looks.  I hope you can see that in the designs I am showing you today.

Next up is this canvas which was inspired by a couple of peacock feather papers in two different paper collections, one was from The Couture Collection and one from the Olde Curiosity Shoppe.  It was fun to combine them together to make a beautiful peacock made entirely of paper.


Different papers and an entirely different design is born….maybe I should say hatched?! ;-)

There are four different paper collections bought together to make this piece and of course the tutorial will step you through so you can make this for yourself.  I hope my tutorials showcase my love of teaching.  I want other crafters to feel that they could tackle this or even if this piece is not to their taste that there are techniques and tips shared which could be used in other crafting projects.


I used the doily technique again which makes a pretty background for my fantasy weeping willow tree created with pinched flowers and hand cut leaves.


Check out all that fussy cutting on the tail!  I think I am all feathered out for a while at least!!!


I have often wondered if I have a particular style and I have come to the conclusion that I don't and I think when it comes to Design Team work that is a huge strength because my projects are so varied.  So on to my penultimate project and tutorial with a completely different look.

Sometimes you come across a paper you like but you just can't think of anything to use it for and this one was that for me.  I liked the colours and the cute flying pigs and the fact that it reminded me of the crows in the film Dumbo that sing If I see and Elephant Fly!

But suddenly I had an idea and this Art Journal page was inspired by my son and a sheet or two of Pigs Might Fly paper from the Olde Curiosity Shoppe collection!  I will explain more in the tutorial!


It is fun to look at the imagery in all the Graphic 45 collections to see how you can create settings for them.  Wouldn't our skies be fun if this little scene came to life?!


One of my all time favourite papers is Calico Kids from the ABC Primer collection.  Tiny strips of it make such beautiful borders which is the perfect spot for a bit of doodle embelishment!


It was fun to create this fantasy sky for my cute flying pigs to play in and although this is a humerous page it has meaning too.  As I make my tutorial I always share what I was thinking as I designed each piece and highlight how the viewer could make the elements of a project work for them even if they didn't like the final piece.  I see that as a strength, teach technique and the process of creativity and you will inspire creativity in others.


Last but definitely not least my final piece showcases my love of creating 3 dimensional pieces from scratch and the new to my collection Graphic 45 Cityscapes paper collection!  I have made clocks and pyramids and cakes and all sorts of things and they are always enhanced by using Graphic 45 to construct and decorate!  This is still a prototype as there are a couple of design faults I need to iron out but they don't show on camera ;-)


I love to design functional pieces that look great.  I hope you agree that this is both.  I designed it to sit on your desk looking like a pretty post box and then spin it round and……..


…..Voila!  Ribbons at your fingertips!  There is no tutorial for this one as it will one day be an online workshop….once I iron out those little wrinkles ;-)


I hope you can see how much I enjoy working with Graphic 45 and that you can see what my design strengths are.  I am keeping everything crossed that this time I might make it through!  Wish me luck everyone!

Thank you for popping by!

Helen
X

PS Here are the links to previous Auditions:

http://acraftproject.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/graphic-45-design-team-audition-2015.html

http://acraftproject.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/graphic-45-design-team-audition-2015.html

http://acraftproject.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/graphic-45-design-team-2014-audition.html

http://acraftproject.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/graphic-45-design-team-2013-audition.html

34 comments:

  1. Good luck Helen - your work is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous projects, Helen! I haven't visited you recently and it's lovely to see how busy and creative you've been. Hope you are OK! I've been too busy with other things for much art lately unfortunately but hoping to get back to it soon as I've got lots of ideas in the pipeline.

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shoshi I hope it is nice things keeping you busy but that soon you have time to create - looking forward to seeing what you are dreaming up X

      Delete
  3. You will nail it! I LOVE the dimension to your pieces...great designs! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. This is the time when the doubt creeps in! Still not too long to wait X

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness!! These are all stunning, all in their own unique ways. If these shows your strenghts, I've got to say you must be pretty strong! ;-) You seem to tackle so many different styles and variations, I'm totally knocked out of my socks!! Love your sense of humour, too.
    G45 would be extremely lucky to have you on their team, that's for sure!!
    Crossing my fingers for you! I'd love to see more!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bibi. Your support means a lot to me. Now the nervous wait begins ;-) x

      Delete
  5. Your work is so fresh and creative! We love your tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing your creativity with us! We are so honored you submitted for our Design Team! Happy Papercrafting, Charee and Joanna from Graphic 45

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the opportunity. This really is the most fun to be had whilst interviewing!!! ;-)

      Delete
  6. Absolutely love all your work. Hope you are successful in your design team challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Andrew, Congratulations to you too! How exciting. I have just found out and can't sit still ;-) Good Luck to you. I need to put my thinking cap on for round two! This is such a fun interview but the hope and anticipation …..omg! I look forward to seeing everyones final pieces. Hugs from your fellow hopeful x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hermosos tus trabajos, no se cuál escoger, felicidades

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! I love your projects! They are so out of the box and creative! Wishing you luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. I am about to start work on my piece for the second round of the audition so all luck gratefully received! x

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on making the Top 30! Your work is lovely :) Wishing you all the best! xoxo Aneta

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much Aneta. Congratulations to you too! I am about to start on my second round piece but will be hopping round to say hi to everyone who made top 30 later so pop the kettle on ;-) X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Helen!!!!Congratulations on making the Top 30! :) Your project incredible!!!!Good luck in finale round!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elena. I am working on my project today! x

      Delete
  13. Love your work Helen!! Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Luck to you too Altina. Cant wait to see everyones projects for round two. So much Graphic 45 goodness! x

      Delete
  14. Congratulations!!!! Your projects are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Magda. Cant wait to see everyones projects for round two! x

      Delete
  15. Your projects are gorgeous Helen! ;-) Congrats on making the final top 30 list! ;-) Wishing you all the best, in the last round! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Denise. Thank you for popping by. Looking forward to seeing what everyone creates…not long now X

      Delete
  16. congrats on making it through to round 2 Helen :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clare. I am painting and papering at my Mum's today but my head is full of my second round ideas! x

      Delete
  17. I just love your creativity!! Love all your works but I'm really drawn to the peacock! That is so creative! Best of luck to you in the final round.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful projects! I love that ribbon one! Congrats on top 30 and best of luck to you and all of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your projects are beautiful! Best of luck for the final round X

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on making the Top 30!
    Lovely projects :)
    Good luck in the final round:)
    Greetings, Padoriaa

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I always love to read them and if you have a question for me I will reply. Thanks again, Helen x
PS have had stop Anonymous comments as I am getting a lot of spam. I am so sorry to any real commenters that this affects. Feel free to email me if you want to and I will get back to you that way instead x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...